January 12, 2019 Saturday 8:30AM - 4:00 PM
Innoworld, 940 Stewart Dr, Sunnyvale, CA 94085
Last date for On-line Registration:
Early Bird - 12/30/2018
Regular - 1/9/2019
Introduction to "Design Thinking" - It's Not Just "Thinking About Design"!
Design Thinking, popularized by IDEO and the Stanford University d.School, is an incredibly valuable methodology for achieving unprecedented results in product development, project management, business leadership, and beyond. While it’s natural to assume that design thinking would mean “thinking about design” - and that does describe some of what goes on in this process - that’s somewhat misleading. A “leap year” isn’t a whole year of leaping, and design thinking is more than design. It is an approach that goes beyond problem-solving to “thinking from the future” in order to invent solutions that would be difficult to discover by problem-centric approaches.
Both design thinking and Scrappy Project Management© share an obsession with “the customer”. And both start by “thinking from the future” rather than getting stuck in the current situation, hampered by self-limiting beliefs about what’s possible. Rather than using the classic design thinking model of Empathize – Define – Ideate – Prototype – Test, let’s use a cycle that’s a bit easier to remember: Why? – Who? – What? – How?
• Rather than instinctively jumping to HOW to solve a “problem”, start with WHY - Why is this project important? Dig deeply to find an inspiring purpose beyond profit.
• Next explore WHO – who cares, who’s impacted, who’s involved, and who’s judging the success of your project? The empathy map & personna are powerful tools to bring stakeholders to life.
• Then move on to WHAT – what outcomes would go beyond “solving a problem” to surprise and delight your stakeholders? Use lateral thinking to imagine the future, and then create it.
• Use the power of cross-polination to explore and expand possibilities beyond the obvious solutions to the truly remarkable.
• Design and rapidly prototype HOW to achieve the desired outcomes and delight your stakeholders. Get feedback early and often from a wide variety of people, then iterate.
Using the WHY – WHO – WHAT – HOW cycle as a guide makes this powerful approach easy to remember and accessible to all project teams, even if you are not expert in design thinking.
“Design thinking helps us appreciate and make sense of the complex connections between people, places, objects, events, and ideas. This is the most powerful driver of innovation. It’s what guides long-range strategic planning. It’s what shapes business decisions that have to be based on future opportunities rather than past events.”- Idris Mootee, Design Thinking for Strategic Innovation: What They Can’t Teach You at Business or Design School
Never one to lecture, Kimberly facilitates lively and engaging “learning laboratories”. You will leave this workshop equipped with practical methodologies, tools & techniques that you can immediately apply to achieve significantly better results . . . even unprecedented breakthroughs!
About the Instructor:
Kimberly Wiefling helps organizations achieve what SEEMS impossible, but is merely difficult. How? By turning managers into leaders and groups of people into real teams.
A TECHNOLOGIST with HUMAN SKILLS: A physicist by education, she realized long ago the limits of technology devoid of human skills – the so-called “touchy feely” aspects of working in teams so vital to success, and so frequently overlooked.
Project Management Education Hours:
Earn 7 PDUs (Tecnical - 4, Leadership - 3)
Meeting Leader: Sagar Amancherla
08:00 AM - Sign In and Networking
08:00 AM - Workshop Begins
12:00 PM - Lunch Break
12:30 PM - Workshop Resumes
4:00 PM – Adjourn
Continental Breakfast, Coffee, and Lunch will be provided.
Attendees should indicate whether they want a vegetarian meal during the registration.
Plan Ahead Registration:
Early Bird: PMISV member: $140 Non-PMISV member: $190
Regular: PMISV member: $190 Non-PMISV member: $240
At-the-Door Registration: No walk-ins allowed. Please register for the course online in advance
This event is a professional society meeting, held for the benefit of its members.
- Cancellation before Early Bird Registration Date: Full refund
- Cancellation between Early Bird Registration Date and Regular Registration Date: $30 cancellation fee; remaining amount refunded
- Cancellation after Regular Registration Date and Day before workshop (by 5:00 PM Pacific): 50% refund
Click here for Refund Request