Become a Symposium Speaker
Are you an experienced project leader dealing with diverse contributors scattered across multiple locations? Have you met the challenge of leading a successful project team while “sheltering from home?” Would you like to share your experiences with like-minded professionals and participate in an event where you will learn from others who have faced similar challenges leading global, remote, and separated project team members? Join us as a virtual session speaker at our 2020 PMI Silicon Valley Annual Symposium.
This year's theme is: “Working Together, Apart - Leadership skills, tools, and practices for building inclusiveness in disconnected project teams.”
Things to Know
Proposed topics must align with the symposium theme of "Working Together, Apart" and should be compelling to the attendees. Presentations should be practical and applicable to individuals and organizations. Interpretation of this theme is welcome, and presenters from any industry, discipline, or project environment are encouraged.
Possible topic categories include the following:
- Skills and techniques:
- Have you established strong relationships and trust among contributors who work in different locations?
- What tips, tools, and techniques have you used to lead global and distributed contributors and secure reliable commitments from remote stakeholders, customers and sponsors?
- How have you minimized and defused potential conflicts, motivated distant project staff members, and rewarded exemplary distributed team performance?
- How have you effectively communicated and led teams with cultural, language, and organizational differences?
- Case studies:
- Have you successfully developed a high performing team having contributors separated geographically?
- Do you have practices to share for effectively using technology to encourage cooperation and collaboration across multiple locations?
- What can you share about your experience leading distributed teams (both good and bad)?
- What leadership concepts have found successful when leading virtual and global teams?
- Have you applied Agile Methodologies while leading people who do work separately?
- What concepts and processes do you find work best in your organizational environment?
- Success Stories or valuable lessons learned:
- How have you seen experienced leadership practices that contribute to the success of remote and global teams?
- What “war stories” can you share to help others achieve better outcomes?
Preference will be given to presentations that:
- Reflect leadership best practices in program and project management
Emphasize on case studies and concrete examples
- Speaker’s credentials and proven presentation skills on online platform
- Illustrate effective, evolving project management techniques or developments
- Provide practical value for our audience comprised largely of seasoned project leaders of the Silicon Valley industries here in the San Francisco Bay Area
- Have not previously been delivered at other conferences.
Accepted presenters will receive the following:
- One complimentary symposium registration,
- Access to all conference presentations and keynotes, and entry into all other scheduled conference activities. (Any additional presenters may register and participate in the full symposium, or, at no cost, plan to attend only the portion of the symposium around their scheduled presentation.)
- Entry into all other scheduled conference activities.
Each presenter will have a total of 55 minutes to present, with 40-45 minutes to deliver content and 10-15 minutes for Q&A with the audience.
- Submission Date: Submit your proposals by July 10, 2020.
- All proposals will be reviewed by a committee and the selected presenters will be notified by August 2, 2020.
- Sample dry run for presentations might be conducted between August 16 and August 30, 2020 depending on speakers' experience.
- Final presentations are due on September 11, 2020.
- The symposium will be conducted over the Zoom platform.
- There will be Zoom experts present during each session to help the speaker and facilitate the webinar.