The Silicon Valley Chapter of PMI (PMISV) is an organization run entirely by volunteers. We are a group of professional project managers working together to help each other and to advance the profession. Accordingly, the benefits and services the Chapter delivers has a direct relation to the quantity and dedication of our volunteers. All members who participate in the Chapter by attending our many activities benefit from those activities. However if you wish to build a true peer network within the organization you will need to contribute. It is the Chapter’s volunteers that are the Silicon Valley’s inner circle of project managers. Volunteer contribution has significant Chapter member benefit.
Benefits of Volunteering
- Personal development of leadership and other soft skills in a non-threatening environment
- Peer recognition through interaction and publicity of Chapter activities
- Development of a peer network within the inner circle of volunteers
- Participation in special leadership meetings with Chapter officers
- Potential for succession to Chapter leadership positions
- Satisfaction of contributing to the Chapter’s success and celebrating it at special volunteer-only events
- Credit (PDUs) toward certification renewal
Volunteers who contribute exceptional service to the Chapter are recognized through events and awards, which are published on the website and can be displayed proudly on your resume. Some examples include:
- President's Award - Volunteer of the Year
- Volunteer Recognition Dinners - a major recognition dinner held every winter for the previous year's volunteers.
Continuing Certification Credits
Volunteering is a very cost-effective way of accumulating Professional Development Units (PDUs) for maintaining your PMP or other PMI credentials.
60 PDUs are required per 3-year recertification cycle, including volunteering from "Giving Back to the Profession" activities. Please refer to the Certification area of the PMI website for the official rules and limits regarding PDUs. You are responsible for understanding PMI's rules and for tracking and documenting your own volunteer hours.
Who Can Volunteer, and How to Apply
We are always in need of additional volunteers for as little or much as they would care to contribute. However, we do limit volunteer participation to Chapter members only.
If you would like to volunteer:
- Login and select Volunteering in the MY PMI-SV menu
- Review the Volunteer Opportunities
- Read the Volunteer Agreement
- Submit the Application
If you aren’t a Chapter member, please add the “Silicon Valley, CA Chapter” Component to your PMI membership in the membership area of the PMI website. For more information, please contact us via Member Services.